Yet Another Genius Hour Reflection :)
Today in class we were exposed to a variety of tech tools we can use in our classrooms. Below is an emaze slideshow that I made to concisely communicate what I feel are helpful steps in planning a trip (such as mine to holland and switzerland). I could definitely utilize emaze in my future classroom, especially for the purpose of teaching english. This would be a great tool to use in "independent reading studies" to communicate or present ideas. It would also be useful in presenting group projects. Emaze utilizes a concise but engaging design, teaching students how to concisely communicate major arguments/points/ideas, as well as the importance of using a visually appealing layout.
Another neat part of class was that we got into groups, both online as well as face-to-face, to discuss the pros/cons of each tool. It's exciting to know that with online platforms you can collaborate or participate in discussions without time or space constraints. This also allows me to thoroughly plan my genius hour project. I can gather as much expert knowledge as possible from my family who currently lives in holland and switzerland, simply through the Internet.
Now, since this is likely my last genius hour reflection post, I want to reflect on the genius hour project in general and what I think of it.
What I find is really great regarding the project is how it encourages meaningful and authentic work; supports tech-centered learning; promotes learning outside of the curriculum; and encourages goal-setting, critical thinking, and reflection.
What I think could create uncertainty about the project from students, parents, and teachers is how different this project is from traditional learning. It requires self-motivation, independent learning, and more open-ended results. This could lead to students feeling uneasy about the project considering they are generally accustomed to being told what to do. this could lead to anxiety or an inability to motivate oneself. Teachers must adjust their planning and teaching to the style of genius hour, and grading requires adjustment as well. it is also imperative to get parents on board with this new type of learning.
I believe that despite these potential barriers, genius hour projects are beneficial to student development, happiness, and creativity. I believe we will be allowing the next generation to reach their full potential and decide early on what their interests/passions/talents are. When I went to university at the age of seventeen I didn't have a clear idea about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life and ended up pursuing a career very different from my undergraduate degree. I believe implementing genius hour projects throughout students' elementary to high school educational careers, means allowing students to better know themselves and what they want to focus their higher education learning on. It will also allow students to start accomplishing ideas, tasks, plans, and goals earlier, more frequently, and more effectively.

Comments
Post a Comment